(Pre-K, Kinder, 2nd, and 4th Grades)
(1st, 3rd, and 5th Grades)
NISD Guidance Counselor Responsibilities
- Teach the guidance curriculum and assist teachers with guidance related curriculum.
- Consult with parents regarding any concerns about their children.
- Consult with teachers and administrators regarding students' needs.
- Teach parenting skills.
- Interpret test results to students, parents, and teachers.
- Coordinate with school and community personnel to bring together resources for students.
- Guide students in the development of educational and career plans.
Your child may see the counselor by:
- Parent referral
- Administrative referral
- Referral by a friend
A Northside ISD School Counselor...
- Is certified and specially trained in counseling and guidance at the postgraduate level.
- Has had successful classroom experience prior to becoming a counselor.
- Adheres to the ethical and legal guidelines of the American Counseling Association and the American School Counselor Association.
- Advocates for students.
- Encourages students to recognize their unique abilities.
- Is sensitive to individual and cultural belief systems.
- Helps students establish and maintain healthy relationships with others.
- Helps children cope with emotional crises.
- Helps prevent problems before they occur.
- Helps students develop essential life skills.
The guidance program is a developmental educational program designed to help students acquire these skills through planned educational experiences and activities. Please visit the NISD Guidance Department Web Page for more specific information on the guidance program.
Materials used in the guidance program are available for preview upon request during school hours with a scheduled appointment.
Please feel free to call your child's counselor for any assistance or to schedule an appointment to preview guidance materials.